Sunday, May 13, 2012

WISHING YOU A THURSDAY KIND OF MOTHER'S DAY



If I were a kid and it was acceptable for me to wear those super cool socks or underwear that have the days of the week on them, I’m pretty sure I’d pick Thursday every time. I’ve always thought of Sunday as my favorite day of the week for all the obvious  reasons– church, family dinner, nap, football, but I’ve really been appreciating Thursdays lately.  It’s funny because there was a time in my life when Thursday was a really fun day for totally different reasons (Thirsty Thursday anyone?) but here in “Mom-World,” Thirsty Thursdays are few and far between.

For me, Thursday nights are kind of like my Fridays. My “official” work-week ends. I tie up paperwork and billing, finish phone calls and prepare for the weekend (and indulge in Grey’s Anatomy of course).  This week was particularly crazy and by Thursday night I felt a huge weight off my shoulders. It was as if my black, white, and gray pictures turned into color – sort of like that magical scene from the Wizard of Oz.

I felt like I noticed my daughters more, listened more carefully to their stories and concerns, and generally seemed more present in the moment.  I have to admit that being present in the moment is a daily goal, but one that I frequently fall short of.  Reflecting on how wonderful fully “being” with them felt, I found myself wishing I could make a way to be more intentional about this daily (again, repeat theme – it is a daily seemingly unreachable goal). But as I thought, I realized that being a parent, specifically being a Mother, is such a challenging job that the honest truth is that if we were always “fully present” nothing would get done! So I decided to allow myself, right then and there in that moment, to give myself a break. I vowed to no longer feel guilty if I was not engaged constantly but at the same time, ironically I decided to try to schedule more unscheduled time! In other words, more “Thursdays” for me.  Today, I’m taking the day as a Thursday. We have no clean socks or towels and I’m not letting myself care, because I have someone who wants to sit on my lap and smother me in kisses. And I know one day too soon, she’ll not want to do that anymore.

Some of us as Mother’s work full time away from the home. Others work full time at home. And some, like me, try to balance both worlds and inevitably feel like we never really get to do anything to the full needed extent. It’s a challenge to do it all and to find a fit that feels best for ourselves and our families. But the fact of the matter is, we all need a “Thursday” or “Thursdays” for that matter.

So to you mothers out there, the ones that I know – those who helped raise me and those who help me raise my kids, those who inspire me, push me, and encourage me in this messy but wonderfully yummy job of motherhood, and to those who I don’t know personally but who I am connected to through this important job we are trusted with – I wish you a Thursday -kind –of- Sunday and a very restful, happy, and fully present Mother’s Day!
The view from our Mother's day hike - WV is ALMOST HEAVEN. Hope you enjoy!
The best gift wrap ever - my flower came in this. I need to read it every day I need motivation to allow myself a Thursday kind of day!

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
Milestones and Miracles
View my complete profile

JUST PLAY!

Welcome to our blog! As longtime friends, we recently decided to combine our professional experience (as a speech-language pathologist and physical therapist) and "Mommy Experience" to create a company dedicated to something we are both extremely passionate about - letting kids be kids! Milestones and Miracles, LLC was formed in 2010. Our mission is to empower parents in understanding the natural progression of their child's development (and not rush it along and skip stages). We develop and provide developmental products to support this learning process, bonding families through engaging, fun, and meaningful experiences! We are thrilled to share that our first product, 1 2 3 Just Play With Me is available for sale. Visit www.milestonesandmiracles.com to learn more and order a unique product for yourself & your child or as a gift! We will continue use this blog to share about topics that interest and excite us. Stay tuned!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews