Sunday, January 9, 2011

Why I love what I do


I always knew I wanted to work with children.  As 1 of 20 grandchildren on my mom’s side and 1 of 10 on my dad’s I had lots of opportunities to be around other kids.  And my mother, who is in my opinion the best Mom ever, provided an excellent example for me of how to love and care for kids.  In elementary school I wanted to be a special education teacher, by high school I had decided on speech pathology.  My Aunt Cindy was the only speech therapist I knew and she made her job look so fun, I wanted to be a part of it.

My first jobs were in the school system…and I really liked it.  But it wasn’t until I began working in early intervention that I really began to love what I do.  My job affords me the opportunity to not only work with children but to also develop relationships with their families.  Helping parents and caregivers celebrate (and appreciate) each milestone their child achieves.

I love children because they never cease to amaze me.  I often envy their innocence.  There is nothing better to me than hearing a child belly laugh at something so simple that I take for granted or being there to experience a “first” with a child and seeing that sparkle of excitement in their eyes…it’s all so priceless! 

These are moments that will pass us by if we aren’t present in the moment.  Some days I’m so stressed about the laundry, my dirty house, etc. that I let the moment pass…and then I regret it.  I don’t want any more regrets.  I want to live in the moment…be fully present so that I can cherish it all.

My friend, Kristin Kish Whyte, wrote an awesome children’s book One More Minute that I think of often (actually every single night when Owen asks, “One more book Mommy? Puh-leeeaaassee!”).  The story inspires and reminds me to answer “yes!”  I mean, why not?  It might not be much longer that Owen wants to kick the soccer ball back and forth with me or who knows when Olivia might stop inviting me to her tea parties.  I want to enjoy it all now…over and over and over…before it’s all a memory.

I’ll close with a favorite quote of mine…it pulls at my heartstrings!  Children should be allowed to just be children; not burdened with the worries of life but only concerned with playing and having fun.  I hope it reminds you too to savor those happy moments you share with your children everyday.  And thank you mom and dad for giving the gift of a happy childhood to me!

“One of the luckiest things that can happen to you in life is, I think, to have a happy childhood.” – Agatha Christie







0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
Milestones and Miracles
View my complete profile

JUST PLAY!

Welcome to our blog! As longtime friends, we recently decided to combine our professional experience (as a speech-language pathologist and physical therapist) and "Mommy Experience" to create a company dedicated to something we are both extremely passionate about - letting kids be kids! Milestones and Miracles, LLC was formed in 2010. Our mission is to empower parents in understanding the natural progression of their child's development (and not rush it along and skip stages). We develop and provide developmental products to support this learning process, bonding families through engaging, fun, and meaningful experiences! We are thrilled to share that our first product, 1 2 3 Just Play With Me is available for sale. Visit www.milestonesandmiracles.com to learn more and order a unique product for yourself & your child or as a gift! We will continue use this blog to share about topics that interest and excite us. Stay tuned!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews